Job Description: Executive Director, Women’s Foundation Mississippi
October 6, 2023 - General News, Newsroom - Posted by Women's Foundation Team
About the Women’s Foundation of Mississippi
The mission of the Women’s Foundation of Mississippi (WFM) is to ensure economic security for women. We are committed to helping Mississippi’s women and girls transcend our state’s dire social and economic barriers. By cultivating social change, we create long-term opportunity for personal stability and stronger families. We work to serve all women and girls throughout the state of Mississippi, particularly those who are most vulnerable. We use grant-making, advocacy, training programs, and research to support three main focus areas: women’s health, access to education and career opportunities, and two-generation work. We do this because women have a greater opportunity for upward mobility and economic sustainability when they can plan for pregnancy, earn a degree or receive relevant job training, access quality childcare, and pursue a viable career with a livable income.
In 2022 we made nearly $1 million in grants to nearly 30 grantee partners. WFM also leads several programs including the Mississippi Women’s Policy Institute, a 9-month fellowship program focused on advocacy; Mississippi Women in the Lead, an annual training program for women interested in seeking elected office; She’s on Board, a one-day seminar for women interested in pursuing board leadership; and annual fundraising events such as Thrive@Work and Visionaries.
Our Guiding Principles
We are ADVOCATES, catalysts for transformation in the lives of women and girls, monitoring public discourse, educating, sharing information, and supporting policies to achieve meaningful change.
We strive for SOCIAL JUSTICE, promoting equal access to opportunity and to equity in all aspects of life.
We believe in INCLUSIVENESS, embracing diversity reflective of Mississippi’s population, welcoming and valuing different perspectives and opinions.
We believe in ACCOUNTABILITY, through transparency and informed, responsive use of our resources in achieving our mission.
We believe in SUSTAINABILITY for The Women’s Foundation, through fiscal responsibility and organizational strength, stewarding resources to meet the unique needs of women and girls.
For more information, please visit the website: www.womensfoundationms.org.
About the Position
The Women’s Foundation of Mississippi seeks a strategic, visionary, and empathetic leader who brings a variety of skills and experiences to the role. The ideal candidate will be a collaborative and passionate leader who brings, or quickly gains, an understanding of the challenges and opportunities facing Mississippi’s women and girls. They are an accessible and adaptable leader who is a strong manager and decisionmaker.
The Executive Director will report to a 14-24 member Board of Directors, oversee a collaborative team of 4, and lead for the overall strategy and operations of the foundation.
The role is based in Jackson, Mississippi, with opportunities for remote work.
Strategic Vision and Leadership
· Lead WFM’s strategic direction, collaborating with the Board, staff, and key stakeholders.
· Identify, assess, and inform the Board of internal and external issues that affect the organization.
· Promote the foundation as a thought leader, convener, and funder.
· Elevate the foundation’s visibility in the state through speaking opportunities, attendance at community events, and external communications. Serve as a brand ambassador.
· Build and maintain authentic relationships and collaborative arrangements with community groups, funders, elected officials, and other key stakeholders in support of the foundation’s priorities.
· Oversee all organizational operations, including programs, finance, administration, and human resources; ensure strategic priorities and objectives are met.
· Develop and maintain strong, transparent working relationships with the Board and ensure open communication regarding financial, programmatic, and operational performance against the strategic direction.
· Develop an operational plan that incorporates goals and objectives aligned with the strategic direction of the foundation.
· Identify and evaluate risks to the foundation and implement measures to mitigate risk.
· Lead, partner with, inspire and support staff, including providing professional development opportunities and rewarding success.
· Facilitate collaboration across the organization.
· Create and maintain a positive and healthy work environment that values flexibility, work-life balance, and collaboration to attract, retain and motivate staff.
Fundraising and Fiscal Accountability
· Serve as the foundation’s lead fundraiser, in collaboration with the Board and staff.
· Oversee fundraising efforts, including both the stewardship of current funders as well as the expansion and diversification of individual, foundation, and corporate donors.
· Oversee the development of annual budgets and ensure sound financial management practices and policies are adhered to.
· Steward finances in collaboration with staff and the Board to ensure the tracking of income, expenses and clear financial reporting.
Program Planning and Management
· Oversee the planning, implementation, and evaluation of the foundation’s programs and special projects, including research and advocacy efforts.
· Ensure effective program delivery that maintains or improves the quality of those programs.
· Build and maintain relationships with organizations and key partners connected to the foundation’s programmatic work.
· Bachelor’s degree or commensurate professional experience.
· Passion and deep demonstrated commitment to gender equity.
· At least 7 years or more years of progressive leadership experience in a nonprofit organization.
· Demonstrated leadership and management acumen with experience overseeing essential executive functions, including strategy, finance, operations, and programs.
· Demonstrated track record of raising funds from individuals, corporations, and foundations.
· Strong public speaking, organizational, and verbal and written skills.
· A strategic thinker who is curious, creative, innovative and enjoys solving critical issues as well as developing new opportunities.
· Demonstrated ability in supervising multiple staff and fostering teamwork and collaboration.
· Experience in building and maintaining relationships with staff, Board, and other key stakeholders.
· Comfortable in an ever-changing environment that requires flexibility and versatility.
· Excellent time management and organizational skills.
· Ability to anticipate, understand and respond to the needs of people and organizations with whom WFM has relationships.
· Knowledge of current community challenges and opportunities relating to the mission of the foundation and an understanding of and commitment to equity.
Compensation and Benefits
The target salary range for this position is $110,000-$130,000.
The Women’s Foundation of Mississippi offers a comprehensive compensation package that includes:
· Paid time off, including two weeks of sick leave, and three personal days. The Executive Director starts with four weeks of vacation time.
· Flexible work options.
· Health insurance is 100% covered for the employee. Dependent health insurance, dental and vision are offered annually for employees to opt into and provide partial payment for coverage.
· The organization offers a 403b for all employees to opt into.
Expected Time Commitment and Travel
This position is full-time. While the Executive Director works a standard work week, she will often work evenings, weekends, and overtime hours to accommodate activities such as Board meetings and representing the organization at public events. Statewide travel and out of state travel is required.
Interested applicants should send a cover letter, resume, and at least three references to: email@example.com by Friday, November 3, 2023.